Thursday, January 15, 2009

Progressive of current piece


This piece on prayer certainly is taking much longer than expected, perhaps because, I am developing details of the piece as it matures. The above image incorporates gold-leaf that has been scoured. Gold-leaf in my pieces are symbolic of God or the Holy Spirit.

One can see the gold-leaf application along the bottom and up the right side of the piece, creating a new window, a sort of outside looking in on the central activity of the abstracted shapes representing prayers rising to the Creator..... The gold-leaf cradles the viewer and the prayers, almost like a father putting his arm around his child, and yet the transparency symbolizes God allowing us to be human and not puppets, a gentle arm but not overt direction...... ahhhh that is how God works.

After spending some time studying this piece I am convinced that much more needs to be addressed. Perhaps to the point of constructing a new panel and starting all over again. Or, perhaps of additional panels in the form of a diptych or triptych. In any event I have been looking and researching images and have some ideas that I am working out in Photoshop before I commit to the many hours of introducing change in the piece.

In the mean time let me share with you an additional work that is in progress: see above.

1 comment:

  1. Bill! I love this painting. I love the visual representation of prayer you depict. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a print of it!

    ReplyDelete